By: Mike Kennedy|
February 5th, 2011
Category: Garrett County News
After hearing local concerns for protection, Delegate Beitzel and Senator Edwards introduced a bill that will establish regulations on Marcellus Shale natural gas exploration. The Marcellus Shale runs from West Virginia to New York and is located in Garrett and Allegany Counties, Maryland.
The bill outlines a number of issues that MDE must address. These issues include requirements relating to:
(1) a water testing plan to ensure drinking water resources are protected, including requirements for surface well casing, grouting, and inspections;
(2) the containment and disposal of fluid used in hydraulic fracturing processes;
(3) the identification of all chemicals and materials used in hydraulic fracturing processes;
(4) prohibiting the unregulated discharge of drilling materials and fluids into streams, ponds, and other bodies of water for which the discharge has not been approved by the Department; and
(5) site reclamation and bonding.
As Garrett County’s leading real estate brokerage, we will keep you informed on all local issues.