By: Mike Kennedy|
August 24th, 2010
Category: Deep Creek Lake Buyer Info, Vacation Rentals
Vacation rental homeowners in the Deep Creek Lake area often inquire about the tradeoffs between professional property management and self-management like those found on VRBO, HomeAway, and other ‘Vacation Rental By Owner’ websites. Professional property managers cost money but the benefits usually outweigh the costs. Property owners who rent on their own and self manage often times don’t “save” money - they “earn” it spending much of their own time, energy, and additional money dealing with their property. Not only is the self managed “for-rent-by-owner” challenged to find paying guests, they must also take care of all repairs, cleaning, and dealing with guest complaints.
A professional property management company like Railey Mountain Lake Vacations will eliminate the stress and reduce the liability of your vacation rental by taking care of such things as:
- Promptly responding to emails and inquiries from impatient visitors who are shopping around
- Answering 10 inquiries for every booking
- Negotiating rent with guests who bargain shop
- Dealing with all guest requests including complaints
- Being able to access an alternative cleaner when the regular cleaner isn’t available
- Dealing with lost keys during after hours
- Coordinating plowing, mowing, and landscaping vendors
- Getting prompt responses by an a/c repairman in the middle of summer
- Accepting credit cards on your behalf which is necessary to get reservations in today’s consumer credit society
- Collecting all accommodation taxes
- Utilizing an in-house professional laundry to eliminate health related pathogens in linens and towels
- Using bonded workers covered by worker’s comp for repairs
Simply put, professional property managers are experts who know what problems arise in putting a non- resident guest into a home owned by another non-resident.
When it comes to reservations and bookings the ‘for rent by owner’ web sites often attract bargain shoppers who often send dozens of email requests asking for discounts. Railey Mountain Lake Vacations has the area’s largest inventory of rental homes in the Deep Creek Lake area that over the years has created the area’s largest database of guests and visitors who are less interested in bargains and more interested in the quality of the home and rental experience.
Self management can work for an owner who is both motivated and willing to do A LOT of work - however, a professional property manager like Railey Mountain Lake Vacations does ALL the work and more importantly is equipped to do the job right to reduce the homeowner’s liability. If you are interested in property management for your vacation rental please contact Leigh Miller at Railey Mountain Lake Vacations at (800)846-7368 or email@example.com.